Looking to harness the power of visual communication? Take advantage of the ability to communicate with your potential supporters with impactful images and catchy captions. Never used Instagram? Check out Instagram’s “Getting Started on Instagram” guide to setup your account now!
Here’s your Instagram checklist:
Follow cflouisville on Instagram. Head to www.instagram.com/cflouisville to “Follow” the activity around Give for Good Louisville.
Follow the hashtag “#GiveForGoodLou” to stay up to date on giving day updates.
Connect your Instagram and Facebook accounts. Make sure that your Instagram posts are automatically posted on Facebook. Connecting Facebook and Instagram harnesses the power of both social media platforms at once and allows you to reach a wider audience.
Find powerful images. People-centric, positive images will help you draw in new followers. Focus on sharing images that speak to your organization’s mission and your target audience. Canva.com is a great way to take your own photographs or a stock image to the next level. If you want to include important dates, statistics, or quotes, Canva lets you add text right on top of the image as well as providing you with a suite of photo editing tools.
On Give for Good Louisville. Add the link to your profile to your Instagram bio on the giving day and direct your followers to give there.
Socialize! Like your supporters’ posts, and consider re-sharing posts that stand out and speak to your cause. Showcasing the stories and individuals that propel your organization’s mission will help you gain more followers, recognition, and traction in advance of the day. Also take this opportunity to cross-promote by liking and re-sharing other organizations’ posts to boost your visibility.
Use the #GiveforGoodLou hashtags, in addition to other creative hashtags. 11+ hashtags per post is the sweet spot. Start with a branded or specific hashtag--like a tagline or fun phrase. Follow this with the name of your organization, then a broader hashtag tied to your cause (#savinglives, #endinghomelessness, #spreadingthelove). Having a succession of hashtags helps with branding and makes your posts more reachable to new audiences. Remember to always include #GiveForGoodLou!
Create a regular schedule for posting. We recommend posting at least 2-3 times per week to stay in your supporters feeds. Additionally, post on your Instagram story 2-3 times per week. You can share your posts to your stories or use apps like RIPL to create motion graphics with music to offer more engaging content. If you integrate your Instagram posts with Facebook, you’ll want to consider how your Instagram posts will fit in with your other scheduled Facebook posts. Consider making posts that show a chronological history - such as building a playground or rehabbing an animal back to health. Tell your audience about your organization and why they should support your giving day campaign.
Host an activity. Photo contests are a great way to include your supporters and make your posts more interactive! “Tag a friend” posts, ask your supporters to tag a friend in a post that you’d like to gain more traction in. Offer an incentive to encourage more participation! “Take-Over” Ask a staff member or supporter to take over your Instagram for a week and post about what a day in their life working for your nonprofit is like. This allows you to showcase the individuals that make up your unique community, how they embody your mission, and what your organization means to them. “Take-Overs” can help show the impact your organization has on the community, too!
Have fun! Instagram is a really playful platform, and the perfect opportunity to let the unique personalities, humor and convictions of your organization shine through your photos, captions and hashtags! Instagram is a fantastic opportunity to relate to your supporters, showing them who you are and what you stand for.
- #GiveForGoodLou is an unprecedented day of unity in the name of philanthropy. Communities from across Kentucky and Southern Indiana will join forces to give vital support to 500+ participating nonprofits. I invite everyone to unite for good when this year's giving day returns on Friday, September 17th!
- Are you ready to unite for good? #GiveForGoodLou is [X NUMBER] days away! This giving day, I am supporting [@ ORG NAME] because [INSERT HEARTFELT REASON]. Support this amazing nonprofit and donate at the link in my bio on Friday, September 17th!
- I am so excited to support [@ ORG NAME] during #GiveForGoodLou! Be sure to support my fundraising campaign at the link in my bio by donating on Friday, September 17th.
- On Friday, September 17th, you will have the chance to give back to [@ ORG NAME] during #GiveForGoodLou! Learn more at the link in my bio.
- Friday, September 17th will be a historic day for everyone in our community to GIVE BIG! Learn more about #GiveforGoodLou and support my fundraising campaign for [@ ORG NAME] at the link in my bio.
- Let’s show everyone that our community is full of generosity! On Friday, September 17th, help me celebrate #GiveForGoodLou and continue [@ ORG NAME]’s important mission of [INSERT MISSION]. Visit the link in my bio to learn more.
- Help [@ ORG NAME] win an extra $1,000 during #GiveForGoodLou by [LIST WHAT YOU NEED FROM YOUR AUDIENCE TO WIN THE PRIZE]. Show your support today by making a gift at the link in my bio.
- Today, we unite in the name of philanthropy! Support a cause you love by making a gift at giveforgoodlouisville.org. #GiveForGoodLou
- Today is Give for Good Louisville! Help me raise [INSERT X AMOUNT] for [@ ORG NAME] by 11:59 PM tonight at the link in my bio. Together, we can make a difference. #GiveForGoodLou